Case report on the death of a wild chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes verus)
Tetsuro Matsuzawa, Osamu Sakura, Tasuku Kimura, Yuzuru Hamada, Yukimaru Sugiyama
The present paper gives a case report on the death of a wild young chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes verus) at Bossou, Guinea. The corpse of a 6.5-year-old male was found, and an autopsy suggested that he had died from some non-epidemic disease or from poisoning. Morphological measurements of the skeleton revealed that the chimpanzee was much smaller than corresponding individuals in captivity. The dental formula of the chimpanzee coincided with those of 5- to 5.5-year-olds in captivity. The death of this chimpanzee suggests that some of the individuals who had disappeared at Bossou had died of natural causes.
Chimpanzee, Death, Body growth, Osteometry
- Dean, M. C. &B. A. Wood, 1981. Developing pongid dentition and its use for ageing individual crania in comparative cross-sectional growth studies.Folia Primatol., 36: 111–127.
- Gavan, J. A., 1953a. Growth and development of the chimpanzee: a longitudinal and comparative study. Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of Chicago, Chicago.
- Gavan, J, 1953b. Growth and development of the chimpanzee: A longitudinal and comparative study.Human Biol., 25: 93–143.
- Goodall, J., 1983. Population dynamics during a 15 year period in one community of free-living chimpanzees in the Gombe National Park, Tanzania.Z. Tierpsychol., 61: 1–60.
- Goodall, J., 1986.The Chimpanzees of Gombe: Patterns of Behavior. Belknap Press of Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Hiraiwa-Hasegawa, M., T. Hasegawa, &T. Nishida, 1984. Demographic study of a large-sized unit-group of chimpanzees in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania: A preliminary report.Primates, 25: 401–413.
- Martin, R. &K. Saller, 1957.Lehrbuch der Anthropologie, Bd. I. Gustav Fischer Verlag, Stuttgart.
- Nishida, T., M. Hiraiwa-Hasegawa, T. Hasegawa, &Y. Takahata, 1985. Group extinction and female transfer in wild chimpanzees in the Mahale National Park, Tanzania.Z. Tierpsychol., 67: 284–301.
- Nissen, H. W. &A. H. Riesen, 1945. The deciduous dentition of chimpanzee.Growth, 9: 265–274.
- Nissen, H. W. &A. H. Riesen, 1964. The eruption of the permanent dentition of chimpanzee.Amer. J. Phys. Anthropol., 22: 285–294.
- Shea, B. T., 1981. Relative growth of the limbs and trunk in the African apes.Amer. J. Phys. Anthropol., 56: 179–201.
- Sugiyama, Y., 1981. Observations on the population dynamics and behavior of wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea, in 1979–1980.Primates, 22: 435–444.
- Sugiyama, Y., 1984. Population dynamics of wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea, between 1976 and 1983.Primates, 25: 391–400.
- Sugiyama, Y., 1989. Population dynamics of chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea. In:Understanding Chimpanzees,P. G. Heltne &L. G. Marquardt (eds.), Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, pp. 134–145.
- Yasui, K. &Y. Takahata, 1983. Skeletal observation of a wild chimpanzee infant (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) from the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania.Afr. Stud. Monogr., 4: 129–138.